Adventures in Flying, Part 4

22 Feb

In case you missed it, here is Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

The next morning when I woke up, I had a little more anxiety than the previous days. I wanted to get home and was really hoping everything would go smoothly. My dad and I headed for the airport at 7:00 AM because he had a meeting he needed to get to. I didn’t mind since I would much rather be early than running late. As we drove, we talked and laughed about the previous day.

As we approached the airport, I received a text notifying me that my 10:40 flight had been canceled. To say I was angry would be a huge understatement. Even my dad was mad at this point. We went to the reservation desk where they told us the flight had been canceled due to being “out of service.” Let me get this straight. I have two flights canceled last night and they put me on a broken one the next day? This is when I decided to never fly with American Airlines again. They had way too many chances to make this right and they just kept screwing up. Oh, but they did give me a $5 breakfast voucher! Assholes.

They told me the next flight was with United Airlines and it left at 1:05 that afternoon. In order to get checked in with United, I had to take the train to another terminal so that’s what we did. Once we checked in, we had to take the train to another area in order to go through security. Since my dad had to go to a meeting, we quickly said our goodbyes and I headed into the security line. I removed my shoes and bag and got ready to walk through the metal detector. One of the TSA agents stopped me and pointed toward the full body scanner.

I don’t remember exactly what I said but I believe it was something similar to “ARE YOU KIDDING ME? NO, I”M NOT DOING THAT.” They once again called for a female assist after declaring I was an “opt out.” I was pat down again and it was pretty much the same process and the same embarrassment. This time however, they didn’t leave me standing there for 10 minutes while they walked away, so I guess that was progress. I gathered my stuff and headed to my gate.

It was only about 9:00 and my flight didn’t leave until 1:05. During that time, I ate and shopped. I listened to my iPod and relaxed. It actually wasn’t too bad! My flight left on time and arrived on time. I am now a huge fan of United Airlines.

The last thing to do was get my luggage and I wasn’t very hopeful. After being booked on four different flights to two cities, I didn’t expect my luggage to be where I needed it to be. I waited at the baggage claim while all the bags went round and round. One by one, all the people on my plane grabbed their bags and left. I stayed until the baggage carousel stopped spinning and then a woman annouced that if our bags had not come out yet, to come to the desk. I walked up to the desk and told them my name. The woman went into the back and a couple mintues later, came out wheeling my big, beautiful bag. My mouth dropped. My bag had actually beaten me home.

I skipped out of the airport and found Josh waiting for me outside. I don’t know if I have ever been happier to see him. Maybe on our wedding day? Maybe.

We went home and after I unpacked, I spent the rest of the evening on the couch. Even though I missed my parents, I was so happy to be home. In trying to get home I had faced refusing two full body scans, three canceled flights, five hours waiting for my flight, numerous moments of wanting to punch American Airline workers and one long cab ride. I can honestly say that I faced so many of my flying fears that there isn’t much left. Last week I was terrified of the upcoming trip to London. Now, I am completely looking forward to it because I know I can handle anything.

Even after all the stress that went into getting home, I would go through it 10 more times in order to have the weekend I had with my dad. I remember last weekend as a wonderful one. I watched an awesome game with my father and we saw our boys win. I got quality time that is very rare between my dad and I. On top of all that, I faced a whole list of fears and made it through.


6 Responses to “Adventures in Flying, Part 4”

  1. Mari February 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

    !!!! Almost! Speechless! !!!!

    I’m so excited for you, I can’t even put it into words!

  2. Roxanne February 22, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

    I have loved following this series and I, too, am excited for you. I am particularly excited that you got to spend some precious quality time with your father. Looking forward to seeing where your next adventure will unfold!

  3. jennifer February 23, 2011 at 12:23 am #

    All the things you went thru with this are the reasons airports stress me out! I can’t imagine going thru what you did. But it’s always nice to face your fears and realize you can do it even though you thought you couldn’t!

  4. Jess February 23, 2011 at 11:56 am #

    There is always a reason for everything! Must have been preparation to get you to London. So great to hear it all wound up ok and that you had a great time with your Dad.

  5. Aba February 23, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

    Oh wow! I just got caught up and I’m so sorry you had to go through all of that! Proud of you for handling it so well though! And I’m glad you made it back to your husband safe and sound. 🙂

  6. Last Girl Standing March 6, 2011 at 4:34 am #

    I’m a bit behind but I’m so proud of you! After all you went through and how well you handled it… you are a pro! London will be a breeze! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: