Adventures in Flying, Part 3

18 Feb

In case you missed it, here is Part 1 and Part 2.

Soon after I settled in by my new gate, they made an announcement. The flight was still scheduled to leave but unfortunately, there was no crew. Even though the flight was supposed to leave at 7:00, the crew was not scheduled to arrive until around 8:00. Interesting.

I quickly called my parents and Josh to give them an update. After another few minutes went by, they made another announcement. The flight had been canceled due to weather. At this point I knew I would not be getting home that night. I walked up to the desk and once again asked them to put me on another flight. They said the next flight out to my town was the next day at 10:40 in the morning. I agreed and asked them how I could get my luggage. They told me that I could try to get it from the baggage area, but I probably wouldn’t be able to get it that night. So they cancel my flights and keep my luggage? What?

I called my parents to tell them what happened and they said I could either stay in the hotel by the airport, or get a cab ride home. I did not want to stay in the hotel, especially since I had no change of clothes, toothbrush, contact solution, etc so I said I would take a cab home. I’m sure a lot of you wouldn’t think twice about taking a cab but I was terrified. I have never been in a cab alone. I was tired, stressed and just wanted to be home with my husband.

This is the point that I started to cry. And then I cried harder because I was embarrassed to be crying in the airport. I called my dad back and begged for him to pick me up. He said he would and then my mom got on the phone. My mom managed to calm me down and helped me take a minute to catch my breath. She told me that she knew I could do this and it would be so much faster to just take a taxi home. The traffic on the way to the airport was still bad and it would save my dad a lot of time. She also mentioned that my younger sister took cabs all the time and that was when I realized how silly I was being. I could do this!

As a sidenote, I didn’t realize that my dad had been at home trying to work on some stuff for a really big meeting that next day. He was behind and was trying to catch up and that’s why he had suggested a cab. Even though he needed to work, he was willing to come pick me up because I was scared. My dad is, and always will be, my hero.

My dad got back on the phone and explained where I needed to go to get a cab. I had to request a cab that would take credit cards and that could drive the 30 minutes to my parents house. I got in a cab and explained where I needed to go and we were on our way! I was so happy to be going back to my parents house where I could relax but I was still upset I would have to start this whole thing over the next morning.

We made it to my house and after some issues with the cab’s credit machine, we payed and I went inside. My mom had fixed me a plate of dinner so I changed and had dinner in her bed while we watched some TV. I was completely exhausted and was not looking forward to the next day.

To be continued…

3 Responses to “Adventures in Flying, Part 3”

  1. Mari February 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm #

    Wow, Becs! Getting home was turning into a nightmare. You handled it all really well. I might very well have been climbing the walls my now 😀

  2. Jess February 22, 2011 at 10:50 am #

    I love Mums they’re always there to turn the situation on its head when we’re bawling our eyes out!


  1. Adventures in Flying, Part 4 « Shutterbug Wife - February 22, 2011

    […] In case you missed it, here is Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: